Reverie Weyr
Cbox
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 17 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:31 am

Latest topics

» 3941.03.14 - Fort Weyr/Hold - Settling into Hiding {Silvara, T'lon, Sim, Alyena, H'lee}
by Simmarrah Fri May 20, 2016 7:23 pm

» Poll: DLG or books?
by Simmarrah Fri May 20, 2016 5:21 pm

» Threads to rp
by Silvara Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:34 pm

» New posting rules
by Alina Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:30 pm

» 2789.07.01 - It's back!...to the future? {T'lon, Silvara, Alina, H'lee}
by Kestrana Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:36 pm

» 2759.05.21 - Boys will be boys {T'lon, H'lee}
by mwaltz Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:08 pm

» 2765.09.23 - Halfway there {T'lon, H'lee}
by mwaltz Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:05 pm

» 3941.04.07 - Candidate Interviews
by Simmarrah Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:15 pm

» 3941.04.14-15 - Candidate Lesson #7 - Touching
by Kestrana Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:59 pm

» 3941.04.13 - Candidate Lesson #6 - The Days Ahead
by Kestrana Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:20 pm

Threads in the Main Site Plot
Threads in Site Mini-Plots
Affiliates & Acknowledgements

Affiliates

RolePlayGateway

Acknowledgements

All canon Pern content copyright to Anne McCaffrey. All non-canon Pern content copyright Kestrana. All draconic sprites/button images copyright to various artists (many images from Pern book covers; dragon sprite from "Dragonlady" fantasy portrait of Anne McCaffrey). All original characters copyright of their gamers.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 First Flight Make-up: Artemis & Jadziath on Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:30 pm

Kestrana

Admin / Weyrlingmaster
Seeth, have Jadziath and Artemis join us after the ground drills are finished. Her wing should be healed up properly by now, despite that little incident a couple of weeks ago, and we need to get her airborne.

H'lee had been overseeing the little green's wing injury after A'dam set it up on the glacier. There'd been a bit of an upset a couple of weeks earlier when Jadziath had tried to flap her wings while her clutchsibs practiced flying, but although it twinged and pained her, it seemed to be muscular pain from the disuse of being in a sling rather than anything more serious.

While the weyrlings got something to drink between lessons, H'lee and Seeth swung by their weyr so H'lee could pick up a pair of shears to remove the sling and cast from the green's wing. Then they glided down to the training bowl to wait for the green pair to arrive.
View user profile http://reverie.forumotion.net

2 Re: First Flight Make-up: Artemis & Jadziath on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:09 am

~Mine, Seeth wants us to meet with him and H'lee after the ground drills,~ Jazz passed onto her rider, the girl wiping down her dragon as best she could around the cast and slink that was keeping her dragon's wing immobile.

~Alright, once I'm finished with this we'll head down,~ she responded.

A few moments later the two headed to the training bowl where they quickly spotted Seeth's larger form. ~Hello Seeth.~ the young green greeted the male, rather excited at the prospect of the sling coming off. Quite frankly... she hated that she had a broken wing and wanted to be able to flex it and give flying a chance! Besides, it was hard enough watching all her siblings learn!

Artemis smiled at her dragon's enthusiasm, doing her best not to yawn. It wasn't that she was bored... just low on stamina lately. "Hello, Weyrling Master H'lee. Jazzy said you wanted to see us?" she asked, having not been told WHY... since Jadziath had forgotten to mention THAT portion of things.

3 Re: First Flight Make-up: Artemis & Jadziath on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:59 pm

Kestrana

Admin / Weyrlingmaster
In answer to Artemis' question, H'lee held up the shears. "Time to take that cast off." Seeth rumbled at his rider and H'lee smiled a little sadly. "Now, Jadziath, that doesn't mean you'll be in the air today. You haven't been able to exercise that wing while it's been in the sling, so we'll have to do a lot of exercises to get it into the same condition as your right wing."

He twirled a finger at the green to indicate she should turn sideways so he could get to her bound left wing. "Artemis, if you could untie the sling..." he asked (as the knots were tied on the right side of Jadziath's neck). After the sling came free, he lifted the green's wing and felt along the cast. "Okay, Artemis, if you can come around this side and steady Jadziath's wing? Jadziath, it looks like the cast is loosest under the wing, so I'm going to need to cut along the bottom. It'll be easiest to access if you sit back a little on your haunches and stretch your wing out. Your wing joint's just a little higher than your shoulder, so that should make it reasonably easy to cut this off."

H'lee went to work, first slipping a thin, flexible piece of wood between the cast material and Jadziath's wing so he wouldn't have to worry about cutting the hide with the shears. After he removed the cast, he instructed the pair to start going through the wing exercises that they'd been doing on her right wing, without any weights so they could figure out how much work they were going to have to do to get the wing into shape.

4 Re: First Flight Make-up: Artemis & Jadziath on Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:07 pm

Artemis nodded her head at the man's words before she and Jadziath set about following his instructions. Artemis carefully held onto the wing once Jazz was in the correct position. Once the cast fell free, and her wing was no longer kept straight by it, the dragon looked over the appendage and snorted.

~I could fly...~ she grumped at both Seeth and Artemis, which caused her rider to chuckle and shake her head before she helped the dragon through the exercises. Most of which showed that Jazz definitely had lost the range of motion that most dragons had. She had some, and would be able to use the wing for short bursts... but anything more than that would likely result in something bad happening. At least for right now... although Artemis glanced at H'lee.

"Will she regain the range of motion that she lost?" she asked him.

5 Re: First Flight Make-up: Artemis & Jadziath on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:17 pm

Kestrana

Admin / Weyrlingmaster
Seeth snorted at Jadziath. We think you'll find otherwise when you start going through the exercises. It may look fine on the outside, but the muscles are atrophied. If you tried to fly right now, you'd tear the shoulder muscles, and it would hurt a lot more than the broken bone did.

Seeth snorted again and nodded meaningfully when the green discovered she didn't have the range of motion in the wing. That is why you would have torn muscles if you tried to fly with it the way it is right now, he explained to the young dragon.

H'lee was watching them go through the exercises with an intense expression. His forehead creased and he frowned as they worked through it and had significantly less motion, particularly in the first wing joint, than he would have expected given the injury she'd sustained.

He waved off their exercises. "Jadziath, please stretch your wing out for me, like we did when I took the cast off. I want to look at your first wing joint." He felt along the joint and his frown deepened. "Artemis, I wasn't watching you when Jadziath tried to fly a couple of weeks ago, so I didn't see what she did. Did she try to extend her wing out flat on the same level as her back with her wing still in the sling?" This was one of the positions that had proved just outside of her range of motion.

6 Re: First Flight Make-up: Artemis & Jadziath on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:41 pm

Artemis stepped back from her dragon and thought about the day in question as her beast moved to do as instructed. Once in place, Jazz gave them odd looks. What was wrong with her wing? How come it couldn't do what the other could?

"I think so... I don't know, it kinda happened a little fast... All I know is she landed on it a little funky and it didn't look like she'd done more damage to it.. but maybe she did more than we thought?" the girl worried as she watched her dragon. Clearly the beast was going to have issues if they couldn't fix it... but what could they do? Jazzy was only capable of moving her wing so much.. although she would try and move it more if she could...

~How come my wing does not work right? It will not do what my other wing can,~ the green protested to Seeth.

7 Re: First Flight Make-up: Artemis & Jadziath on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:56 am

Kestrana

Admin / Weyrlingmaster
"Ah. Well, that explains it, then," H'lee muttered, feeling along the joint more and instructing Jadziath to flex the joint a bit while he felt the movement in the joint. "It seems when you landed on your wing, you twisted the tendons, and maybe even the healing bone. The bone break was mostly healed by then, but it might had twisted a bit. Unfortunately, because it was already mostly healed, it didn't hurt as much as it would have earlier in the healing process, and it wasn't obvious that further injury occurred." He bit back a curse.

When you tried to fly, you made it so the wing can't work right, the brown answered Jadziath - probably needlessly, given H'lee's statements.

"We may have some options to correct the ligaments, but we can't fix the bone, if it's twisted. But it's probably going to be painful getting the ligaments straightened out. I'll need Alyena's and Henriettath's help to do it. I can't promise that you'll ever be able to fly properly, Jadziath, but right now, you wouldn't be able to fly, only glide. All your takeoffs would have to be from a ramp like this training one so you could drop off it, and your landings would have to be running landings like the other weyrlings did that first week. You won't be able to backwing to take of or land if we leave your wing the way it is. I think if we can get the ligaments straightened out, you'll be able to do that, at least."

He turned and looked at Artemis. "It'll be painful for you, too, since you're bonded to her. Ultimately, it's up to the two of you. We no longer need dragons to fight Thread, so loss of normal flight isn't as problematic as it would have been twenty Turns ago. Depending on what you're planning to do after you graduate, it may not be worth putting you two through the pain of resetting the ligaments. I suggest you take a day or so to think and talk about it. One more day won't make a difference either way."

8 Re: First Flight Make-up: Artemis & Jadziath on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:10 am

Artemis frowned at the news, having remained silent through H'lee's entire speech. Her dragon would never be able to fly? A quick glance towards her green told her that the dragon wasn't overly happy about the news, but H'lee and Seeth had both pointed out that it was her fault. If she hadn't attempted to fly when she wasn't supposed to.. then she would be perfectly fine.

The girl glanced towards her beast and then closed her eyes for a second. She had to think about this and quite honestly... she was a little devestated to learn that she would never get to fly with her dragon... not like A'lo would get to fly with his. When she finally opened them again, she glanced towards her beast once more. "I hadn't really considered overly well what I want to do after everything, although I was leaning towards continuing to learn healing. I've enjoyed the time spent learning that craft so far..." she admitted to him (after all it hadn't been HER idea to have her dragon start trying to fly), "Perhaps it would be best if we stayed at the academy and helped out where we could.. And it would give us some access to Jazzy gliding."

Sure, it wasn't quite the day to think about it that the man had suggested, but she hadn't actually answered the question of them getting the procedure done. Although, it did bring about another question, "H'lee, with Jazz unable to fly, how is that going to affect the rest of our lessons? Not that we haven't gotten used to standing on the ground while the others are learning to fly, but with Jazz unable to take off or land like other dragons...." Yes, it was a sudden worry for her (not that it would matter since she wouldn't actually get to participate in some of the later drills regardless... because she'd be the size of a house...

Jadziath snorted at them before she glanced at her wing. ~I want it done.~ the green stated firmly to both Seeth and Artemis, ~If it will help me to get off the ground for a little bit, then I want it done.~

Artemis turned and looked at her beast for a moment, somewhat surprised and yet, not entirely, that she had made the sudden out burst. She had been content enough to just listen to the others and not give her two cents worth, so to speak... She then glanced towards H'lee and Seeth, uncertain of what they should do, but willing to go through with it for her dragon. 

9 Re: First Flight Make-up: Artemis & Jadziath on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:21 pm

Kestrana

Admin / Weyrlingmaster
Seeth rumbled, maybe a touch unhappily. There were times he wished his rider hadn't become a dragonhealer. Not often, but this was one of those times. He hated when they had to hurt another dragon in order to help him or her. Not that he minded a visit from a gold dragon, but since they had a gold weyrling who was older than Jadziath, they wouldn't be sending out for an adult.

H'lee hated having to do this sort of maneuver, too, but it was the only way to give the green some sort of flight capabilities. He tried to keep the tension out of his voice and face as he nodded. "If you're absolutely sure you don't want to take a little more time to think it through..."

Seeth, we'll need Alyena and Henriettath. We should go do this down by the lake. A soak in the lake after we do this will help her feel better. Oh, and could you get Lemmy or Tiny to--nevermind.

Aloud, he said, "If we're going to do this now, let's go down by the lake. We'll be out of the way of the other weyrlings, and Jadziath should probably soak in the cold water after we're done." He stared pointedly at the tiny green form perched overhead, watching them closely. Shortly, the green firelizard chirped and popped between.

10 Re: First Flight Make-up: Artemis & Jadziath on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:40 pm

Alyena

Gold Weyrling
Alyena and Hetty had been bumped out of another dyed rope activity. They'd been doing better as a wing, but during this practice, she'd swept the flamethrower a bit closer to Hetty's wing than was safe and had scalded the gold a bit. Not seriously, but enough to send the gold between with a bit of fright. Upon reemerging from the cold, the gold complained, Is that what Threadscore feels like? If so, maybe you should do that to all the other dragons; maybe knowing what it really feels like will inspire better performance during the activity!

Shortly after they'd landed and Alyena had smeared a salve on the wing that one of the Assistant Weyrlingmasters handed her, Hetty perked up. Weyrlingmaster H'lee would like us both to meet them at the lake. Seeth didn't say why.

About the same time, one of the Assistant Weyrlingmasters said, Weyrlingmaster H'lee needs you and Hetty. You're excused from the rest of this lesson.

Since they were up in the training bowl, Alyena mounted and the pair flew down to the lake. They landed on the beach and waited for H'lee and Seeth to arrive and tell them what he needed them for.
View user profile

11 Re: First Flight Make-up: Artemis & Jadziath on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:49 pm

Artemis was mentally asking her dragon much the same. ~Are you absolutely certain of this, Jazzy? H'lee said we could take a day to think about it if we wanted to,~ the girl commented to her dragon.

The green looked at them all and snorted her annoyance. ~If it will give me any chance at getting into the air, then I want it done. Now. I don't want to wait until tomorrow so I can come up with the same answer!~ the beast snorted at them. Quite honestly, she felt like half a dragon because she hadn't been able to learn how to fly with her siblings... now she felt even worse and if anything would help her out (even just a little bit) then the green was willing to do it.

Artemis gave a concerned look, but she nodded to H'lee and Seeth. "We're certain, Jazzy wants it done..." she said, although it was clear that she was a little nervous and anxious over the idea of intentionally causing her dragon pain... regardless of the reasoning.

As the weyrling master suggested they head to the lake, she nodded and started walking towards the water so she could be there for her dragon. ~This isn't going to feel good, Jazzy.. it's going to hurt.. a lot if H'lee's comment about the cold water is any indication...~ she commented to her dragon.

~I know. Do you want me to get Rikraketh and A'lo to meet us down there as well?~ Jadziath asked her rider who shook her head.

~Nah, let him have his bit of rest. He won't be happy with us for not telling him, but we'll be fine,~ Artemis told her dragon as they walked along.

12 Re: First Flight Make-up: Artemis & Jadziath on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:08 pm

Alina

Headwoman
When Tiny showed up in the kitchen cavern right in front of her Alina got a small sick feeling in her stomach. Tiny was supposed to be watching young Artemis for her to be here something must have gone awry. Tiny did not seem panicked though so it could not be that bad calming her emotions Alina called the little green to her and laughed at the feelings of respect and love she got from the green as the images of Hot water Cloths and the lake popped into her head no doubt some one needed her help down by the lake then the final image came to her one of H'lee and the feelings from her green intensified. Well that answered that question H'lee needed her and those things at the lake. As she gathered the things that had been requested with Tiny sitting on her shoulder Alina thought about how she was just as smitten with the Weyrlingmaster as Tiny seemed to be. Letting out a huge sigh as she left the cavern and paced towards the brown bulk of Seeth by the lake she thought to her self "now if only he would admit to being smitten with her as well." That thought was so amusing that she was grinning as she walked up with her burdens and touched H'lee's arm, "Tiny said you had need of me?"
View user profile

13 Re: First Flight Make-up: Artemis & Jadziath on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:06 am

Kestrana

Admin / Weyrlingmaster
H'lee and Seeth weren't thrilled with Jadziath's quick decision - but H'lee at least wasn't surprised by it. Dragons weren't prone to mulling things over, particularly when injuries were involved!

With an internal grimace, H'lee resolved to walk down to the lake with Artemis and Jadziath. He hated walking that far with his leg being the way it was, but it wasn't really fair to the pair if they flew down, considering they had old injuries themselves. Even Seeth decided to make the trip afoot.

When they arrived, they spotted Alyena circling over the lake, watching for them. H'lee waved her down. Alina arrived moments later. He responded to her grin and touch with a tight smile.

"Alright, Jadziath, let's stretch your wing out again. I'm going to soak some of these cloths in the hot water and put them on that joint. That should loosen at least some of the tightness in the tendons and ligaments and make this a little easier." After he draped the steaming hot cloths, he turned to Alina, Artemis, and Alyena.

"Here's the plan. Henriettath, Seeth, and Jadziath are going to have to work together. As distressing as it sounds, Henriettath is going to have to take complete control over Jadziath. The amount of pain this is going to cause would cause Jadziath to, at the least, try to hurt me, if not try to kill me. Henriettath is a gold, which gives her an inherent advantage in this. Seeth will act as a physical restraint; there shouldn't be any need for him to do so, but better safe than sorry."

He paused to change hot cloths again. "In short, what we're going to do is straighten the joint. That should pop the ligaments back in place. That's the part that's going to hurt; once they're back in place, there will be some soreness for a few days, but they shouldn't hurt, exactly. These hot cloths are increasing circulation to the joint and encouraging fluid buildup. While that makes it easier to straighten the joint, it will also make it more painful, which is one reason why Jadziath should soak in the lake afterward; the cold water will reduce the swelling. Stretching the wing out while in the water will also help strengthen the muscles without putting too much strain."

He sighed. "Artemis, this is going to be painful for you, too. Alina and Alyena will have to restrain you because you'll likely try to attack me when I do this. After we're done, we'll get you some fellis wine." He turned and slid a hand under the cloths to feel how warm the joint of Jadziath's wing was. "One more change of the cloths and we'll be ready. Any questions from anybody?"

14 Re: First Flight Make-up: Artemis & Jadziath on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:17 am

Jadziath watched them, snorting at the man's words... but at a glance from her rider she calmed down. Apparently Artemis wasn't willing to hear anything from the green who was bound and determined to go through with this. ~Don't even think about commenting on what he said. He's the dragonhealer and you decided to do this. If it takes Henriettath to take control over you and Seeth to keep you in place, then that's what we'll do...~ the girl scolded her dragon who snorted at her, but didn't voice any real argument.

Instead, she waited for the rest to be done as her wing was held out as best as she could. She had to admit that she liked the soothing feel of the warm cloths on her wing. Although, she wasn't certain how much she would like the next part.

Artemis took a deep breath and paused. "No, it sounds pretty straight forward..." she assured as she backed far enough away from her dragon so that if she DID manage to get away from the other two women, she would at least have a few feet to go before she could attack H'lee. Plenty of space for the other two to shout a warning, at least.

~Why do you stand over there?~ Jadziath asked her rider, not liking the distance as she half watched H'lee feeling her wing.

~If something goes wrong and I do end up freaking out as H'lee says I will... I want to make sure that should I break free from the other two that he has enough warning to move out of the way or block whatever's coming. I don't want to see him hurt in all of this... not when he's helping us,~ the girl pointed out to her dragon who agreed with the sentiment and settled for the mental and emotional comfort of her rider standing not too far away... even if there would be no physical comfort.

15 Re: First Flight Make-up: Artemis & Jadziath on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:30 am

Alina

Headwoman
Alina's grin quickly faded as she listened to what H'lee needed her help for. With a look of grim resolve on her face she moved to Artemis's side motioning for the young gold rider Alyena to move in on the other. "Artemis would you please sit down on the ground it will be a more stable position for your body should you become unbalanced from the pain, as well as making it easier for us to restrain you with out hurting you or the child you carry."

While waiting for Artemis to get settled Alina looks back to H'lee answering his query about questions. "No I have no questions just please be quick the stress the pain will cause to mother and child would not be good for them if it were to be prolonged."
View user profile

16 Re: First Flight Make-up: Artemis & Jadziath on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:09 pm

Alyena

Gold Weyrling
Alyena frowned as H'lee explained what they needed. It wasn't the first time he'd asked her and Hetty to assist with controlling an injured dragon, but she hated having to do it. So did Hetty. They both felt it was a violation to the other dragon's individuality. But sometimes it was necessary.

Hetty huffed a sigh and crouched down, putting herself between and to one side of Jadziath and Artemis. She knew from past experience that sometimes the effort of controlling the other dragon could cause her to flare her wings; that would help act as a physical barrier between rider and dragonhealer if Alina and Alyena lost hold of her.

I do not like this any more than you, Jadziath, the gold told her. But it is necessary to accomplish whatever maneuver Weyrlingmaster H'lee is doing. The gold reluctantly extended her iron will to hold perfectly still into the younger dragon's mind, trying to be gentle about her intrusion.

Alyena moved over and knelt next to Artemis and Alina, gently laying one hand on the greenrider's shoulder and the other around her elbow. "Hetty will try to be gentle."
View user profile

17 Re: First Flight Make-up: Artemis & Jadziath on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:17 pm

A'lo had had two things happen to him since their lessons... The first was that he had a visit from the premonition fairy and was curious to see what his sister might think of it. Quite frankly, it wasn't one that made him happy seeing as all he had seen was his sister in vast amounts of pain. Not a fun thing. The second thing that had happened was that he felt determination and nervousness from Jadziath... something he was not used to feeling in the first place. Not that he often felt things from his sister's dragon... only when things were really getting to her.

Sighing to himself, he had managed to get Rik to figure out where the two were before heading towards the lake... only to find Jadziath with her wing extended and cloth over the part that had only just healed... as well as H'lee, a gold weyrling, and Alina... all around his sister and the green. The two older dragons were there as well. That instantly got his attention and he jogged over, worried that something was wrong with his sister or her dragon.

"Is everything okay?" he asked, glancing towards his twin and the others. Of course, it made it all the more interesting when he noticed that Artemis was sitting on the ground a little ways from her green... and H'lee. "Did Jazz do something more to her wing?"

18 Re: First Flight Make-up: Artemis & Jadziath on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:33 pm

Kestrana

Admin / Weyrlingmaster
H'lee had been about to remove the last set of cloths and line up to straighten the joint when a young male voice called out, "Is everything okay? Did Jazz do something more to her wing?" He sighed gustily.

"A'lo, not right now. You want to be helpful, send Rikraketh back to your weyr and go sit with your sister," he said, a little sharply. "This is time-sensitive and Henriettath's already locked Jadziath down. If you won't accept those two conditions, then get out of here. Either way, I don't want Rikraketh here right now." He turned to give an icy glare at the boy. "I don't have enough dragons here to keep him in line for this. And trust me, he doesn't want to be here for this."

Seeth, please ask Roth to come down. If Rikraketh doesn't go promptly, I want another adult around to restrain him. A few moments later, a bronze dragon skimmed down the bowl toward them and shuddered the ground beneath a running landing. He remained a respectful distance up the shoreline, seemingly uninterested in the group on the beach.

Knowing it would take a minute or so for the young bronze to fly back up to his weyr, H'lee instead changed out the cloths for one more layer of hot ones to buy a little time. "We'll explain what's going on afterward," he told the boy. He tossed a clean cloth to Artemis. "Bite down on that, it'll keep you from cracking any teeth."

After running his hands under the cloths to test the temperature of the tissues around the joint, H'lee swiped all the cloths off. Quickly, he dried Jadziath's hide with a new cloth, then grasped the wing, one hand on either side of the joint. He pulled the wing down so that the joint was about at his waist, trusting Hetty and Seeth to control the green. And in one swift motion, yanked the outer side of the wing up and forward with his right hand, pressing the joint against his hip and steadying it with his left hand.

The joint popped loudly and H'lee quickly flexed the joint, causing it to crackle a bit. But when he straightened it again and felt along it, all the ligaments felt like they were where they should be...mostly. They were angled ever so slightly, confirming his suspicion that the partially-healed wingbone had been twisted. The joint would be stiff and wouldn't open or close quite all the way ever again, but she was young. She'd have to learn to rebalance during flight; since the wing wouldn't open or close all the way, she'd have a tendency to veer to the left during flight. If she wasn't careful, she'd end up flying in circles!

"Alright, Jadziath, go walk out into the lake until you're floating, let the water hold you up, and stretch your wing as much as feels comfortable. When your wing feels less painful, I'd suggest you and Artemis both curl up here on the beach, in the sun, and rest for a while. You should soak your wing in cold water again, and then sun it, alternating for the rest of the day." He turned to Artemis. "Make sure you more time with heat than with the cold water; increasing the blood flow to the joint will help it heal faster, but it may make it feel stiff and sore because of the inflammation. A little cold soaking will ease the pain, but it also reduces circulation. Numbweed won't help because it's not a surface injury, but we can administer a little fellis to Jadziath later."

The muscles in H'lee's neck and back were in knots after the procedure. He knew Alina would be fussing over Artemis for the rest of the day, so he decided to go down to the infirmary to get the knots taken care of. He sagged against Seeth's side. "I'm going to head down to the Infirmary. I'll send someone up with a glass of fellis-wine. A'lo, Seeth will explain through Rikraketh what happened to Jadziath's wing and what we did and why." He then started limping over to the building that housed the Infirmary.

Rikraketh. When your clutchsister tried to fly a couple of weeks ago, she hurt her wing more. The way it was, she was not going to be able to fly at all, only glide, like you and your clutchsibs did off the ramp when you were first learning. My rider made an adjustment to her wing so she can fly at least some, but she probably will not be able to fly as much as other dragons. Jadziath and her rider made the decision to do this rather than stay the way they were. They knew it would be extremely painful.

19 Re: First Flight Make-up: Artemis & Jadziath on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:02 pm

A'lo blinked at the harsh words that came from H'lee, but he sent Rikraketh back to his ledge. He himself moved over to his sister and watched as she bit down on the cloth and nodded that she was about as ready as she would ever be.

A second later both Artemis and Jadziath were crying out in pain... and struggling rather fiercely to get towards H'lee and stop him from causing more. A'lo was torn between stopping H'lee and holding his sister down, in the end he chose to hold his sister to him and close his eyes. He hated the sounds he was hearing and if it weren't for all the preparations that he'd seen... he might not have remained so calm.

When they were done, Artemis was panting and sobbing as she struggled to her feet and hurried over to her dragon. As much as they had both been expecting the pain.. they weren't expecting THAT much of it. Jadziath pressed her head against her rider before she slowly moved into the lake with Artemis's approval. Once there, they both gasped a little as more pain shot through the limb, but it wasn't nearly as bad.

"Thank you, H'lee," she said to the man before sitting on the sand and watching her green float in the water.

Her twin moved next to her and wrapped his arms around his sister. He was about to ask what had just happened... when Rik passed the news onto him and he held her tighter. "I'm sorry you guys had to go through that, Arty. But at least Jazz will be able to fly now," he promised her.

"It wasn't a complete fix, A'lo. H'lee figured that she did damage to the bone as well... she will be able to fly... but she won't be able to fly well. But, she was determined to do this when H'lee suggested it as a possible option," she managed a little shakily as she shuddered from the pain that she could still feel. Although, she was certain to remember the instructions H'lee had given her for now.

"At least she can fly a little now, though. And don't worry, I'll stay here with you as long as you need, sis. Rik said he wouldn't mind spending the day sunning over here, either," he commented a second before the bronze landed nearby.

~Thank you and yours, Seeth,~ the green stated easily to the brown as she let the water run over her wing. At least it would eventually stop throbbing...

20 Re: First Flight Make-up: Artemis & Jadziath on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:17 pm

Alina

Headwoman
After helping to hold young Artemis while the wing was being fixed Alina simply stood back when it was all over shuddering delicately at the pain she had seen and heard in both the girls and dragons screams she decided that wings hurt the worst of all. She had just finished giving Tiny the order to stay with the girl and dragon when she heard H'lee say he was going to the infirmary. Alina knew that doing things like this bothered H'lee sometimes and was worried about him. So instead of staying with young Artemis as she would normally have done she sent her Bronze Lizard Lemmy to find K'then and see if he would mind keeping an ear open for the girl and an eye on the green and then silently caught up to H'lee slipping her arm through his and matching his pace.
View user profile

21 Re: First Flight Make-up: Artemis & Jadziath on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:14 am

Kestrana

Admin / Weyrlingmaster
Several days later, H'lee and Seeth requested Jadziath's and Artemis' presence up by the gliding ramp again. "This time, we're going to give gliding a shot. Jadziath, don't worry about gliding out as far as your clutchsibs did. Your wing isn't quite up to snuff yet, despite the exercises you've been doing. We're just going to do a couple of easy fall-glides off the ramp."

He led them up the ramp. "You saw all the other weyrlings doing this. Go up to the edge and push out away from the end of the ramp, extend your wings, and let gravity do the rest. You'll fall down from this height. Try not to jump up right now; we want to keep these flights short so we don't strain your wing. Just take it nice and easy."

After letting them look at the end of the ramp, he guided Artemis up the small platform. "Okay, give it a try."

22 Re: First Flight Make-up: Artemis & Jadziath on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:49 am

Jadziath was feeling a little bit better with her wing, it still gave her problems at times but at least she could try gliding now! That made her happy. It also made Artemis nervous. The two of them listened to H'lee's words and looked at the edge of the ramp after having followed the man up it.

~You ready to do this, Jazzy~ Artemis asked her dragon once H'lee gave them the go-ahead. When her dragon confirmed, the girl gave her the signal and watched as her dragon walked off the edge and spread her wings as far as they would go. Her right wing fully extended, but her left wouldn't quite extend as far as the other and it caused the green to veer to the left... and almost smack into the ramp as she turned 180 degrees around... luckily she landed just before she hit it and peered at the thing that was just inches from her nose.

~How come I did that! The others didn't do it!~ the green complained to both Artemis and Seeth.

23 Re: First Flight Make-up: Artemis & Jadziath on Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:21 am

Kestrana

Admin / Weyrlingmaster
Although H'lee wasn't surprised that Jadziath's flight veered, he was a bit startled at the abruptness and sharpness of the spin. "The twist in the bone must be enough to change the way the air flows over the wing. Have her come back up and I'll give you some more information."

After Jadziath came back up and he and Artemis descended back to the ramp, he opened a small box that was slid under one of the steps to the observation platform and pulled out a goose feather - an expensive rarity. He held it up flat at eye level. "A brief lesson in the mechanics of flying. On a normal wing, air flows over the top and bottom of the wing; for taking off, gaining altitude, and maintaining altitude, more air flows under the bottom of the wing to give it lift." He demonstrated by blowing across the feather, slightly below even, causing the end of the feather to lift up. "For landing and lowering altitude, more air flows over the top to push it down. Now, you have two problems."

He paused to reveal a second marvel, this one shorter than the first. He held it so the pins of both were pinched between his fingers and they pointed opposite, like a pair of extended wings, one shorter than the other. "When one wing gets more lift than the other, you turn in the direction of the wing with less lift. Now, problem one is that you can't extend your left wing all the way. That means less air can get under your left wing to lift you up. So to compensate, you'll need to angle your right wing down so less air flows under it; balance the flow of air under both wings, and you'll fly straight." He twisted the longer feather slightly to angle the leading edge down.

"Problem number two is the twist in the bone. That's causing still more air to flow over the top of your left wing." He twisted the shorter feather so its leading edge was also down. "Now, option number one would be to tip the right wing down further, but if you tip it down much further, you'll never get any lift. So you'll have to work on tilting your left wing up more."

Having finished the mechanics lesson, he put the feathers safely away in their little box. "Now, I can't show you exactly how to hold your wings to accomplish this. I can't measure exactly how the wind is going to flow under and over your wings. You'll have to figure it out yourself, based on how it feels. If the wind picks up this afternoon, we'll go up on one of the ridges so you can stretch your wings and feel how the wind flows over them. In the meantime, though, let's try again."

He waved Artemis up the stairs again and gave them the all clear once they were safely on the observation platform.

24 Re: First Flight Make-up: Artemis & Jadziath on Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:06 pm

Artemis glanced at H'lee as he commented on Jazzy's wing before she frowned and had her dragon do as the man requested. Once they were back with her dragon, both listened to his lesson. Jazz watched carefully what he was describing, trying to figure it out and would occassionally flick her right wing to try and unsterstand what he was saying. Her left wing remained as closed as it would ever get.

Once they were done, Artemis looked at Jazz. ~Do you think you'll get it, dear?~

The green thought about it for a moment before getting a determined look in her eyes and on her face. She WOULD figure this out! ~I have to if I want to fly like a proper dragon,~ the green commented with a snort as they headed up the ramp so that the green could try again.

~You ARE a real dragon, Jazzy, injured or otherwise,~ the girl responded instantly before pausing until they were given the go-ahead.

Jadziath took a deep breath before she pushed off the ledge and spread her wings, trying to follow the idea that H'lee had... however, she over compensated and went WHOMP! Onto the ground she went... face first. With a yelp of protest, she picked herself up, growled her annoyance at it and shook it off before heading back around.

Artemis yelped and glanced towards H'lee and then at her dragon. ~Are you okay, Jazz?~ A sharp "yes" was the reply from the green, showing her frustration.

25 Re: First Flight Make-up: Artemis & Jadziath on Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:50 am

Kestrana

Admin / Weyrlingmaster
"Try again," was all H'lee said. They heard that a lot over the next two weeks as Jadziath got a handle on gliding.

At last, when the wing no longer seemed fatigued from the daily exercising, H'lee authorized them to try launching from the ground. Given the likelihood that the green's first attempts would tip her over sideways to the left until she figured out how to restrain the power of her right wing in comparison to her left, H'lee recommended giving the green additional space for the safety of himself and Artemis.

Given the distance, he conveyed his instructions both verbally to Artemis, who he stood beside, and mentally through Seeth to Jadziath. Now, this is probably going to be a lot harder to compensate for than gliding. The first thing to do would be to keep your right wing tucked in a little so it matches the left. It's fortunate you've got the full range of motion in your shoulder because that's where most of the work is going to be. Give that a try once so you can feel it, and then we'll work on any other adjustments once you know what it feels like.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum