Reverie Weyr
Cbox
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 17 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:31 am

Latest topics

» 3941.03.14 - Fort Weyr/Hold - Settling into Hiding {Silvara, T'lon, Sim, Alyena, H'lee}
by Simmarrah Fri May 20, 2016 7:23 pm

» Poll: DLG or books?
by Simmarrah Fri May 20, 2016 5:21 pm

» Threads to rp
by Silvara Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:34 pm

» New posting rules
by Alina Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:30 pm

» 2789.07.01 - It's back!...to the future? {T'lon, Silvara, Alina, H'lee}
by Kestrana Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:36 pm

» 2759.05.21 - Boys will be boys {T'lon, H'lee}
by mwaltz Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:08 pm

» 2765.09.23 - Halfway there {T'lon, H'lee}
by mwaltz Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:05 pm

» 3941.04.07 - Candidate Interviews
by Simmarrah Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:15 pm

» 3941.04.14-15 - Candidate Lesson #7 - Touching
by Kestrana Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:59 pm

» 3941.04.13 - Candidate Lesson #6 - The Days Ahead
by Kestrana Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:20 pm

Threads in the Main Site Plot
Threads in Site Mini-Plots
Affiliates & Acknowledgements

Affiliates

RolePlayGateway

Acknowledgements

All canon Pern content copyright to Anne McCaffrey. All non-canon Pern content copyright Kestrana. All draconic sprites/button images copyright to various artists (many images from Pern book covers; dragon sprite from "Dragonlady" fantasy portrait of Anne McCaffrey). All original characters copyright of their gamers.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DLG or books?

0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
100% 100% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 1

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Poll: DLG or books? on Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:48 pm

Kestrana

Admin / Weyrlingmaster
I'm rereading the books, starting with Dragonsdawn (crap, but I'd forgotten how much that book makes me cry). I'm finding some discrepancies between the books and the Dragonlover's Guide to Pern (DLG), and I'm not sure which we should go with.

In the DLG, it's stated that Kitti Ping engineered the 5-finger claw for the front hand for the mentasynthed fire-dragonets. But in Dragonsdawn, it's clearly stated that the 5-finger claw was only added to the dragons, not the dragonets. This would mean that physically, there's no way to tell the difference between what they call a "menta" in Dragonsdawn and a genetically pure dragonet. Kitti was only attempting to make them more biddable at that time; they didn't know about Thread yet.

In addition, the popular name for fireliazards was "dragonets", Sean Connell was the only one who called them "lizards" (most people frowned on calling them such a rude name). There's no indication in the books, that I can recall at this point, that explained why they became known as firelizards later; but if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it was because they wanted to refer to young dragons as "dragonets" and that just got confusing.

So...what do you guys think? Go with the DLG, or with the books?
View user profile http://reverie.forumotion.net

2 Re: Poll: DLG or books? on Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:52 pm

Silvara

Moderator / Master Healer
I like the 5 fingers, and I prefer fire lizards being fire lizards and dragons being dragons and dragonets when young. it has always confused me when other wise stated making it seem like there are 3 diffrent critters rather then just the 2.
View user profile

3 Re: Poll: DLG or books? on Fri May 20, 2016 5:21 pm

Simmarrah

Unranked
I feel the same way, in all the other books the fire lizards are fire lizards, and the babies of both species are hatchlings.
View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum