Reverie Weyr
Cbox
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 17 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:31 am

Latest topics

» 3941.03.14 - Fort Weyr/Hold - Settling into Hiding {Silvara, T'lon, Sim, Alyena, H'lee}
by Simmarrah Fri May 20, 2016 7:23 pm

» Poll: DLG or books?
by Simmarrah Fri May 20, 2016 5:21 pm

» Threads to rp
by Silvara Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:34 pm

» New posting rules
by Alina Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:30 pm

» 2789.07.01 - It's back!...to the future? {T'lon, Silvara, Alina, H'lee}
by Kestrana Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:36 pm

» 2759.05.21 - Boys will be boys {T'lon, H'lee}
by mwaltz Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:08 pm

» 2765.09.23 - Halfway there {T'lon, H'lee}
by mwaltz Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:05 pm

» 3941.04.07 - Candidate Interviews
by Simmarrah Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:15 pm

» 3941.04.14-15 - Candidate Lesson #7 - Touching
by Kestrana Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:59 pm

» 3941.04.13 - Candidate Lesson #6 - The Days Ahead
by Kestrana Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:20 pm

Threads in the Main Site Plot
Threads in Site Mini-Plots
Affiliates & Acknowledgements

Affiliates

RolePlayGateway

Acknowledgements

All canon Pern content copyright to Anne McCaffrey. All non-canon Pern content copyright Kestrana. All draconic sprites/button images copyright to various artists (many images from Pern book covers; dragon sprite from "Dragonlady" fantasy portrait of Anne McCaffrey). All original characters copyright of their gamers.

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Chores, oh goody! on Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:23 pm

Artemis had been curious as to what chores she would get, and because of this she found herself rather surprised when she learned of all the things the headwoman suggested for her to do. Thus, she woke up an hour before sunrise and headed down to the kitchens once she was bathed and dressed. Nataly had told her to start with that, after lunch she would be responsible for going to help in the infirmary to see if she enjoyed healing and herbalism... and after that, due to her good scores with the test that Timiny had given her, Artemis found herself in a situation to also help the candidates who hadn't been so fortunate as to get a good tutor growing up. With all of that in mind, she felt determined to do her best, and to hope that it didn't wear her out by the time all was said and done. Instead, she just chose to focus on one thing at a time.

When she finally reached the kitchens she smiled to one of the drudges there, "Headwoman Nataly said I would be helping with breakfast this week. Is there anything in specific you would like me to do?" she asked, politely. Once she had been given her task (peeling tubers) she set about it, taking only a moment to learn exactly how this was done. Wasn't her fault she was raised without any knowledge of how to cook!

2 Re: Chores, oh goody! on Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:59 am

REC

Random Event Creator
The first day of his chores, Kerso hadn't really done much. Apparently, the Head Cook wasn't ready to start supervising Candidates yet or something, so he'd been given breakfast and ordered to sit in a corner out of the way and observe. Or maybe it was because they didn't know when he was going to be summoned to Harper Timiny's office. When he'd returned late after that appointment, there wasn't much for him to do since breakfast was long over and dinner not really started yet; he'd be set to washing vegetables until he was dismissed for lunch.

First thing that happened when Kerso reported in on the second morning at that shardingly too-early hour was he got breakfast. He'd decided that this part of the chores wasn't so bad; in fact, it was pretty sharding awesome. Then he was instructed to shadow Head Cook Belav while he managed the breakfast cooking; some had already been done (as evidenced by the hot meal Kerso had gotten), but with nearly 2,000 mouths to feed, there was a lot to be done.

Belav lectured while they went from station to station in the huge kitchens: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and should consist of a larger serving of protein as well as grains. A little fruit, vegetables, and dairy are encouraged, but not required. As such, each person consuming breakfast requires five ounces of protein and three ounces of grains. Of course, not everyone eating at this meal is eating breakfast - the Watchrider coming in from the cold is eating supper, for example, and requires a different mixture of foods; that is why there's the stewpot - which contains meat, and vegetables - a breadbasket, a cheese tray, and a fruit tray always out in the dining hall. Milk is perishable and sours if left out warm for too long, so it stays in the cooler cellars except at breakfast time, when chilled pitchers are placed on the tables. Huge bowls of bacon, sausage, and ham are deposited by 2nd-level Staff on the tables; platters of fried and scrambled eggs, too. Baskets upon baskets of thickly-sliced, freshly-baked bread are laid out with trays of cheese and fruit and dishes of butter. Bowls of hot shredded tubers are scattered among the other dishes. Pitchers of water, milk, fruit juice, tea, and klah are distributed at intervals along the tables.

Kerso saw how the meat was cooked, on a flat metal surface over a hot fire; the bread had been in process since the wee hours of the morning, even before he'd arrived, but they were still mixing, kneading, shaping, and baking more loaves. He watched drudges slicing fruit and the bread as it came out of the ovens, stirring cauldrons of klah and filling pitchers. Periodically, he got to look out into the dining hall as the Head Cook peered out to make sure the dishes were placed properly and kept full. A stream of drudges periodically wandered out with fresh bowls of food and brought empty ones in, which went straight to the sinks...and this is where his morning changed: He was assigned to wash dishes.

Not that he hadn't washed dishes at home, of course, but really, that had been his sister's job once she was old enough to safely handle the dishes. He found the task arduous and obnoxious, plus he always ended up with disgusting stuff under his fingernails. But before he could protest, a large serving bowl that had contained one of the breakfast meats was shoved into his arms - it now contained a couple of platters, a few mugs, and several breakfast plates and bowls.

He dropped the whole lot into the first sink and was reaching in to grab a handful of sweetsand when he got smacked upside the back of the head. "Check to make sure there's no food left in there before you dump it in the water!" someone barked in his ear as they yanked it out of the water. Fortunately, there hadn't been, this time. "Next time, check it, and scrape anything into that bucket over there." Kerso glowered at the dishes which were now back in the sink before pulling out a handful of sweetsand and starting to scrub.

They kept him at it until roughly an hour after they stopped cooking more breakfast foods, then he was pointed to an out-of-the-way table that contained a pitcher of cold water and a tray filled with the more salvageable leftovers: a few slices of bacon and ham, a couple of sausage patties, and several slices each of bread, cheese, and fruit. The Steward who shooed him over to the table told him to wait there, refill his stomach, and wait for someone to get him. He sank down in one of the chairs and closed his eyes, completely ignoring the food except to pour himself a mug of water.
View user profile

3 Re: Chores, oh goody! on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:35 am

Once she had finished peeling enough tubers for the cooks, and they were done cooking, she was given the task of wiping down the counters and making sure that the floors were clean. She did this easily enough, taking until about the hour was up to get everything properly scrubbed down and swept off the floor. When done, she too was directed towards the table with left overs on it. Easily she walked over and took a seat across from Kerso. "Hi," she greeted him, getting a glass of water for herself and ignoring the food. She didn't really feel overly hungry at that point, she just wanted to relax for a moment before she was sped off on her way to the next task of the day.

4 Re: Chores, oh goody! on Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:33 pm

REC

Random Event Creator
Kerso opened his eyes and looked at the girl who'd plunked down in one of the other seats. "Hi," he grunted. "You're in the room across from me, aren't you?" he asked, taking a moment to admire her features and deciding that if she wasn't as sweaty as he was, she might be pretty. "My name's Kerso. That's 'care-so,' not 'curse-so' or 'car-so.'"

He was starting to feel the edge of hunger and listlessly selected a slice of fruit from the tray to nibble on.
View user profile

5 Re: Chores, oh goody! on Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:44 pm

Artemis had already watched Kerso for a moment, and she smiled at him before nodding her head. "Yeah, I am. You're my brother's roommate, right? I'm Artemis, it's nice to meet you Kerso," she responded to him in a friendly manner. She had a tendency to be extremely accepting of those around her, and she wondered if this wasn't one of the guys that were mentioned to her, one whom she would be tutoring later on in the evening after supper.

6 Re: Chores, oh goody! on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:51 am

REC

Random Event Creator
Hearing that she was Apollo's sister made him perk up a bit. That meant she was the daughter of the Ruathan Lord Holder. He actually deigned to look at the girl sitting next to him: black hair, green eyes. He couldn't tell from where he sat how tall she was, but if her brother was any indication, she wasn't very short.

"If your brother's Apollo, yeah, we're roommates. So you were searched, too, right? Who brought you in?"
View user profile

7 Re: Chores, oh goody! on Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:00 am

She watched him, clearly perfectly fine with the idea of just enjoying the time they had to not be doing chores. Not that she didn't like being able to do her duties to the weyr and her father's hold, but sometimes a good break was necessary. Something she rarely allowed herself to take (without specifically being told to take one, of course).

At his comment, she nodded. "Yup, Apollo would be my brother. We were actually brought here by Bluerider L'ric. He's a rider from the academy that was chipping in to help search out candidates. How about you? Who brought you in?" she answered and returned his question.

8 Re: Chores, oh goody! on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:05 pm

REC

Random Event Creator
"They sent a BLUE to bring you in? That's insulting. Of course, a blue Searched me, but I was brought in on a bronze." Nevermind, of course, that he'd pitched a huge fit and demanded to be allowed to ride a bronze rather than a lowly blue... "I'm terrible with names, though, don't remember either of the riders' or their dragons' names."

He sipped some more water and nibbled on some fruit. Washing dishes did work up more of an appetite than cleaning fruit had yesterday. "So, what did you do at the Hold? I mean, as a Lord Holder's daughter, life must have been pretty good.

"Hey, speaking of your brother, isn't Apollo supposed to be down here somewhere, too? I haven't seen him."
Couldn't seem to be TOO interested in this girl; they weren't supposed to have any sort of romantic relationships during Candidacy, after all.
View user profile

9 Re: Chores, oh goody! on Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:46 am

Artemis frowned at his immediate assumption that it was insulting that she and her brother arrived on a blue. She didn't perceive it in that manner, in fact, she felt it was an honor that she had been searched out at all. However, she simply nodded her head at his question, "Well, they didn't really send the blue to come get us. The blue was still there and merely waited for us to gather our things. It would have been unreasonable for me to expect a different dragon to give me a ride to the weyr when there was one there already," she responded with a shrug.

She had stopped eating from the left overs and instead just focused on drinking her water as she conversed with her fellow candidate. "I mostly learned about the duties that I would be performing, should my father find a lord holder's son to marry me off to. In fact, I often helped my mother with the various tasks she would perform for my father around the hold," she responded easily.

As the conversation took a sudden turn to her brother, she paused for a moment. "I expect he's down here somewhere, and just hasn't come over to sit down and eat. Knowing him, he might have gone off to do something else when finished with the chores," she commented thoughtfully.

10 Re: Chores, oh goody! on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:41 am

Apollo had gotten himself excused from joining his sister and Kerso, in favor of going to the bathroom. For some reason, his stomach felt a little upset, but he ignored it other than to run to the restroom every so often. However, it seemed that as the conversation between the two turned to him... he appeared out of thin air.

"Hey Kerso, hey sis," he greeted them, sliding into the seat next to his twin. As he did so, he grabbed a piece of fruit and began munching on it, along with some water. He was hungry, since he hadn't eaten much that morning. That.. and he'd been setting up the plates and cups for breakfast, running around like a chicken with his head cut off as he not only did that.. but collected the plates left behind so that Kerso could clean them. When he wasn't doing either of those jobs, he was running to grab little odds and ends for the cooks and other staff members in the kitchen.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum