» Candidate Lesson #1: Welcome to the Weyr
by Kestrana Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:56 pm

» Candidate Lesson #3: Hold and Weyr Relations
by Kestrana Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:34 pm

» Check-in with Candidatemaster Lery
by Kestrana Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:34 pm

» Candidate Lesson #2: Manners for the Mannerly
by Kestrana Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:36 pm

» Chore Group A: Food Services (morning) -- Nium, Marrisha, Quarion, Shemov, Alyena
by Kestrana Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:38 pm

» Girls' Bunkroom #6 - Sindri, Leena, Hirana
by Kestrana Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:35 pm

» Girls' Bunkroom #5 - Nemeia, Neme, Safira
by Kestrana Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:34 pm

» Girls' Bunkroom #4 - Luthi, Lorali, Liasa
by Kestrana Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:32 pm

» Boys' Bunkroom #7 - Skeldar, Theram, ?
by Kestrana Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:19 pm

» Boys' Bunkroom #6 - Burlar, Dryden, Artie
by Kestrana Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:18 pm

» NPC Candidates
by Kestrana Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:51 pm

» Check-in with Harper Timiny
by Kestrana Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:22 pm

» Craft Lesson Schedules
by Kestrana Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:26 pm

» Boys' Bunkroom #5 - Liadon, Patelo, Learyam
by Kestrana Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:54 pm

» Boys' Bunkroom #4 - Lerane, Kimta, Taien
by Kestrana Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:51 pm

» Girls' Bunkroom #3 - Amaki, Rineta, Pola
by Kestrana Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:45 pm

» Girls' Bunkroom #2 - Nylee, Xilosci, Secha
by Kestrana Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:13 pm

» Boys' Bunkroom #3 - Shemov, Ildel
by Kestrana Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:33 pm

» 3941.03.20 10:30 - Aren, Erhom, Lorler, Tikal, Silvara
by Kestrana Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:53 pm

» Boys' Bunkroom #1 - Aren, Erhom, Lorler
by Kestrana Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:12 am

Affiliates & Acknowledgements

Affiliates

RolePlayGateway

Acknowledgements

All canon Pern content copyright to Anne McCaffrey. All non-canon Pern content copyright Kestrana. All draconic sprites/button images copyright to various artists (many images from Pern book covers; dragon sprite from "Dragonlady" fantasy portrait of Anne McCaffrey). All original characters copyright of their gamers.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Silvara

Silvara
Moderator / Master Healer
Learyam sighed soflty bowing his head before slowly standing up. He moved to where H'lee could at least partly see him if not the damage he had taken.

"No sir... I was hiding... I didn't think anyone would find me here..."

He was unsure what to do part of him wanting to run away and try to find somewhere else to hide but knowing that he would likely run into some one until latter and not wanting to go back to the candidate barracks. Up side being the other's would be in their new Weyrling locations so he would not get beaten up again unless he got in their way now. He watched the Rider waiting for instructions since he did outrank a lowly candidate like himself. At least he knew that the others would not try anything tonight against Silvara since they assumed he had all ready warned her and who ever was staying to help tend to her dragon.

Kestrana

Kestrana
Admin / Weyrlingmaster
H'lee squinted through the dark at the boy and determined that his age was within the acceptable Candidate age and H'lee had just seen all the new weyrling riders, so it seemed likely that that this boy was trying to hide his disappointment.  "Let me guess, you stood for the first time today and didn't Impress?" H'lee asked with a smile.  "Well, don't let it get you down.  Both of my parents were dragonriders and they dragged me all over Pern to every hatching since I was 12, and I didn't Impress until I was 21.  If you were Searched, you most likely will Impress eventually, just give it some time.

"What's your name?"
he asked.  He wasn't drawing the conclusion that this was one of the five who had been tormenting Silvara, mostly because the boy wasn't in the presence of the other four.  But he'd recognize the name.
http://reverie.rpg-board.net

Last edited by Kestrana on Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Silvara

Silvara
Learyam watched the rider and felt a little better at his words about not everyone impressing their first time around. He moved a little closer knowing that he was most likely going to get chewed out shortly but it was bound to happen anyways.

"Learyam... Sir."

He bowed his head and waited for the riders reaction. Today really was not his day. He shifted from foot to foot a little wishing this was over with so he could go back to hiding and maybe in the morning get some balm from his bruises. He had no idea how he was going to explain them to the healers or the Candidate master either.

Kestrana

Kestrana
Admin / Weyrlingmaster
H'lee's next words of comfort that he'd planned stuck in his throat when the boy said his name. This was one of the quintet that had been tormenting his cousin. He felt a surge of irritation. "What are you doing down here?" he asked, a hint of rime in his voice.

His first thought was that the kid had come down to visit more torture on Silvara. But something about the boy's posture suggested otherwise. He watched the boy with narrowed eyes as he waited for an answer.

Silvara

Silvara
Learyam flinched at the tone but knew it was coming. He shook his head slightly before taking a deep breath to answer the riders question.

"I told you sir. I am hiding here... from the other... They were going to do something mean to silvara and I said that we should leave her alone cause she is hurt and they glared at me. So I tried to find some one to tell but they caught me and... well they think I told so they decided to leave her alone for now but they kicked me out of the group..."

He did not raise his head the entire time he spoke. He also did not mention getting beaten up for trying to do the right thing. He was so confused as to where everything had gone so wrong. He was the youngest of the candidates and when Misha and Miskel now M'kel invited him to be a part of their group he had been so happy but some where they got mean. Misha and M'kel targeted Silvara cause she was favored by the Masters and the elder weyr folk. Lately tho the 'jokes' had gotten less funny and more dangerous.

Kestrana

Kestrana
Admin / Weyrlingmaster
H'lee thawed a bit when the kid said he'd tried to stop the others from doing something to Silvara and Warrelith. The boy was clearly ashamed of what had been done and just as obviously afraid of H'lee's anger. The brownrider knew from his information network that Learyam had grown up in the Weyr, although H'lee couldn't say that he'd ever encountered the boy before.

"So they didn't like that you were going to tell? Did you find anyone to tell?" H'lee was reasonably certain the Candidate hadn't told anyone, otherwise he or T'lon would have heard about it. "Did they do anything else?" he asked. The kid was fidgeting far more than he'd have expected from a guilty conscience.

Silvara

Silvara
Shaking his head no he looked up a little still staying where he was. Learyam wet his lips hopeing the rider believed him.

"No... they... took their frustration out and then headed for the barn to hang out with the other weyrlings saying they had no reason to hang out with a failure and they would deal with Silvara once they were out of the weyr... Sir..."

He wanted to ask why the others in the weyr seemed to favor Silvara since it had gotten around that the weyrleader and weyrwoman had actually been to see her even tho she had impressed a runt. He also hoped the rider would go back to where ever he had been soon so he could sit back down as his legs were starting to hurt from the beating he had taken. He had been born and raised here in the weyr by his mother and following her foot steps had focused on weaving and a little tailoring considering he was thin gangling fellow.

Kestrana

Kestrana
Admin / Weyrlingmaster
"What do you mean, 'took their frustration out'? Took it out on you? Did they hurt you?" H'lee was alarmed by this possibility, an alarm that was reflected in his voice. His specialty might be dragons, but dragonhealers attended a lot of the same courses as regular healers since they could often be expected to double as assistants in the infirmary during emergencies.

"How did you even get mixed up with that crowd to begin with?" he asked. "I know you were raised here in the Weyr."

Silvara

Silvara
Learyam slumped a little frustrated that it seemed he had been caught out. Slowly he moved towards where H'lee and the light was. He really just wanted to find a spot to curl up and sleep and hope things were better in the morning. Rather then being beaten up and friendless.

"A little... it does not matter. They invited me in said they wanted some one from here to help show them around and we could be friends... They are all older and bigger and so cool. Thought I could finally have some friends cause I am just a weaver."

He fought back tears sniffling a little. He felt so foolish thinking they would still be his friends once they had dragons of their own.

Kestrana

Kestrana
Admin / Weyrlingmaster
When Learyam stepped into the light, H'lee hissed. His hand snaked out and caught the boy's chin to tilt it up so he could see better. "A little?" he snapped, seeing the swollen eye and split lip. There were several things that made him angry, but hurting kids topped the list. "Kid, you need a healer! C'mon, the healers are going to be down here shortly to check on Silv anyway," He sidestepped to chivvy the boy out and back toward the weyr where Silvara and Warrelith were.

Seeth, wake your big tail up! Get T'lon and N'del down here right now! he roused his dragon with a sharp mental command. The brown rumbled loudly from his perch as his sleep was rudely interrupted but did as he was told.

Silvara

Silvara
Learyam did not fight H'lee as he lifted his chin to get a look at his face. He did start a little when H'lee mentioned going to Silvara's room. Shaking his head he tried to pull away some.

"No... I will be fine. I shouldn't be in her room. not after all the hassle the others and I put her thought..."

He did feel guilty about it since it really had gotten rather bad since she walked the tables and became a journey woman. He limped slightly as they moved still trying to figure out how to get H'lee not to take him into Silv's room.

Kestrana

Kestrana
Admin / Weyrlingmaster
H'lee firmly placed a hand on Learyam's back and guided him out the door toward Silvara's chamber. "It won't be for too long, just until the healers come, then I'm sure they'll want to bustle you off to a room of your own," he said firmly. He looked down at the boy. "What do you all have against her anyway?"

They come, Seeth told him, grumpily. H'lee got the definite impression that the dragon would have liked to go back to sleep, but he'd picked up on how riled up his rider was and wouldn't be able to sleep again for a while.

Silvara

Silvara
Learyam sighed and went where H'lee wanted him to go since he knew he had no real choice. At the question he looked up then away trying to sort out how to answer.

"Not so much me but Misha and M'kel... They got searched and ended up at the same Weyr as B'ron and Y'ken and latter moved here this last year. From what they have said, I think it comes from the fact that their family and every one told them that being a dragonrider is easy since there is no more Thread. No real work to do now, just have a dragon and live in luxury. So they were rather unhappy with all the chores and such we have to do. Well then they got transferred to here and they saw Silvara not having to do much if any of the Candidate lessons and none of the chores and always with one of the masters or full riders and well... She's a teachers pet and favored it seems. Everyone seems to go out of their way to help her and she never seems to have to do any of the stuff the rest of us do. Then she walks the tables and she's only 16 and well... Misha and M'kel did not like that at all. So they have gotten worse since then, trying to bring her down a peg cause she walks around as if she is Weyrwoman, but... they really have gotten out of hand this last few months. They weren't this bad when they first got here they were even nice and all the jokes were just that, things that were supposed to be funny... I heard Misha talking with M'kel a few nights around about how there is something not right in Silvara's head cause she likes other girls rather then boys and she should not be allowed to stand for a dragon and M'kel saying it was a pity that he would not get to teach her her proper place cause others would try and stop him... I still not sure what he meant..."

He stood to one side in the room seeing Silvara asleep on the cot and her little blue curled up on the couch. It was hard to believe a real dragon could be that small. He was uneasy about being here hoping that the two would stay asleep till he was long gone.

Master Tikal entered the infirmary room from the hall door and raised a brow at the sight of H'lee with a rather beaten up young man in his hold. He had come to check on Silvara as not only a Healer but as her friend and primary teacher in the Healing arts.

"What have you brought me now H'lee?"

Last edited by Silvara on Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kestrana

Kestrana
Admin / Weyrlingmaster
H'lee was a little surprised at the gush of words; up 'til now, Learyam seemed to be hesitant to talk.  Apparently, the dam had broken at H'lee's question.  After letting it spill out as they walked to Silv's room, H'lee gently pushed the boy down on the edge of the dragon couch farthest from Silv and Warrelith, then sat down next to him.  He just sat there a moment, trying to organize his thoughts.

"Learyam, let's get one thing straight," he started.  "Silvara hasn't had it easy, she isn't a teacher's pet, and she's not a favored Candidate.  Like you, she grew up here, in the Weyr, and with both parents being dragonriders as well as being the Weyrleaders, it was simply expected that she would Impress.  So she's been attending Candidate lessons off and on for the last four years, even though she couldn't stand until this year.  They made her do that because her schedule is absolutely packed.

"When she was little,"
he paused, trying to figure out how to word the next part of his speech, "she started to display some odd behavior; she was developing some unusual mental abilities.  It's not something that gets talked about much; if folks knew about what some dragonriders and Weyrfolk can do, the Weyrs and riders would be ostracized by the Holdfolk even more than they are now.  And you're under oath now not to speak of it to anyone!" he added vehemently, staring hard at Learyam to make sure he understood.

"She's like those rare people who can talk to all the dragons, except that there are a lot of other things she can do, and some of them are pretty scary, even by the standards of these abilities.  She and Master Healer Tikal lived in Ogren Ghosthold, as far away from people and dragons as you can get, for over five years before she was able to bear the presence of other people and dragons again.  She did nothing for those five years except learn how to control those abilities.  She didn't have much of a childhood.  Master Tikal started her Healer training then as a way to help her focus, so she already had many of the basics down before she was able to formally Apprentice to the Healer Hall.  She has also Apprenticed as a Smith because she wanted something in her life that had nothing to do with people, dragons, or animals; there are times when our mere presence becomes physically painful for her and the rhythm and absolute focus required for smithing helps."

He stopped and went over to the kitchenette to pour two glasses of water; he handed one to Learyam and took a few healthy swallows himself before continuing.
"When you see her with the Masters, it's not because she's a favored student, it's because she needs their training.  You've just formally Apprenticed, if I read your shoulder knot correctly, imagine what it would be like if all of your classes were taught by Master Weaver Gartan, and you were the only student in every class.  That's what Silvara's apprenticeships are like."

H'lee wanted to ask for more details about the two blondes' plans for Silvara, but he knew it wasn't his place.  That was for T'lon and N'del to sort out.  And speaking of those two, they had just arrived.  N'del looked extremely put out and T'lon seemed tired and confused.  Fortunately, they both had the sense to move quietly so as not to disturb Silvara and Warrelith, but before they could speak, Master Tikal entered.  Knowing that he'd chase the lot of them out of the room in short order, H'lee quickly and quietly explained to the healer that he'd found Learyam in one of the neighboring rooms and that he'd been beaten rather badly and needed medical attention.  While explaining this, he Sent everything he'd learned to Seeth to relay to Roth and N'del's Asheth.  Sorting out the burst of information from their dragons kept them occupied long enough for H'lee to leave Learyam in Master Tikal's hands and step outside with the two bronze riders for further discussion.

N'del was furious, but seemed otherwise unsurprised at the information.  "I've had my eye on that group since their interviews.  I'd hoped the Search dragons had made a mistake in picking the twins, they've been trouble since day one.  From what I've heard from Fort's Weyrlingmaster, they were trouble at Igen, too - they stood there at the last clutch, which went to Prairie for training.  L'ther's going to laugh when he hears I got stuck with them," he grumbled.

"Well, it sounds like they've got something particularly nasty planned.  I don't think Learyam knows the details, but it might be worth questioning him further, he may know more than he realizes.  I just wanted to make sure you knew," he trailed off.

"More like you wanted to make sure I knew so I could keep an eye on your cousin," T'lon added with a chuckle.

The Weyrlingmaster was giving H'lee a funny look, which made H'lee feel a little on edge.  "I think we can do better than that," he said after a moment.  "You've shown initiative that I've found to be unusual in brown riders.  Maybe that's just because Silvara is...your cousin, did you say?" he glanced at T'lon for confirmation, "But you didn't have to go snooping around in what should have been an empty weyr just because she's your cousin.  You've been a full rider for three years now and from what I've heard, you haven't left the Weyr; what are you planning to do with the rest of your life?"

H'lee blinked.  This was not where he'd expected this conversation to go.  "I...haven't really thought about it, sir," H'lee finally stammered.  "I grew up here, I've been training as a dragonhealer, so I guess I always assumed I'd stay in the Weyr."

"Well, goodness knows there are few enough injuries in the Weyrs these days.  The Academy, however, could always use another dragonhealer.  And from what I hear from T'lon, you're the best in your class.  Why don't you come to the Academy?  From what I understand of Silvara's...talents...she could benefit from having someone she knows around, and you'd get peace of mind."

"Well, I'm not a Journeyman yet, sir, I doubt they'd--"

"Doesn't even know, does he?" T'lon snorted at N'del.  "His own promotion and he spends the entire evening lurking around the infirmary."

H'lee stared.  "What are you talking about?"

His friend rolled his eyes.  "Well, Kerstina was going to tap you for Journeyman at the feast tonight, but you were off playing protective big brother.  So it was announced, even though you weren't there to get your knot.  It's probably in your weyr by now, waiting for you to come back for a change of clothes."

"So, you see," N'del stated, with a quieting look at T'lon, "I can request your presence at the Academy.  I know, I know, technically you don't go on Journey for another two years, but since there isn't a real Hall for dragonhealing, you can get the same training at the Academy as you can get here."

H'lee was floored, and more than a little afraid.  He'd never seriously considered leaving Benden before.  And technically, this wasn't really "leaving Benden" since he'd be going to Benden's established Academy, but still...  And he'd be able to keep an eye on those troublemakers and keep them off Silv's back...

I wouldn't mind going to the Academy, it'd be nice to bathe in the sea every day instead of just once in a while, Seeth said.  That settled it, as far as the brown was concerned.

"I would be honored, sir," he finally said.  "If Kerstina agrees," he added.

"Let me see to that.  It looks like you've built a rapport with Learyam, I want you to try to ferret out any information he might have about anything Misha and Misk--M'kel might be planning," the Weyrlingmaster ordered.  "Not tonight, though, I don't think.  Boy looked like he could use some fellis, if you ask me.  I'll see you at midnight."  With that, N'del stomped off into the darkness.

T'lon shook his head.  "You know, you're about as 'lucky' as Silv is.  I swear, it looks like you're not even trying and things just fall into your lap.  I know, I know, that's not how it is, but that's what it looks like from this side of the fence."  The bronzerider grinned and cuffed his friend on the shoulder.  "Guess I'll be seeing you again in a few hours.  Better get some rest, old man, you haven't had to stay up 'til all hours with a weyrling dragon in years!"  T'lon also departed, whistling.

H'lee stood outside for a long moment after he was left alone.  His thoughts were all in a jumble, but now that the immediate problem had been addressed, Seeth was feeling tired again and retreated mentally so he could return to his rest, though not without a gentle prod to suggest that his rider do the same.  Finally, the brownrider turned and went back inside the infirmary chamber to see what had happened while he and the two bronzeriders had been talking.

Last edited by Kestrana on Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Silvara

Silvara
Learyam let himself be pushed down on the edge of the couch and watched H’lee closely. As the rider started to talk his eyes went a little wide as slowly a lot of things about Silvara were explained and he felt even worse for all the trouble he had caused her. He had no idea about her gifts and finding out that she was not only a HAD but more and that being around others could cause her pain suddenly made her isolation make a lot more senses. Why she did not let others touch her if she could do anything about it and why she spent so much time in one-on-one training.

He nodded his head at being made to not talk about this to anyone as he realized that H’lee was right. Misha and M’kel were good examples of Holder Folk mind set all ready and they had been searched how much worse if others not searched and bound to the Weyrs would react to Silvara. Taking the glass of water that H’lee offered he sipped at it carefully due to his split lip not wanting to make it worse even as he thought about everything H’lee had said about Silvara. It made him a little sad since he realized it had to be lonely for her as well.

When he saw N’del and T’lon he blanched slightly knowing that he would most likely have to explain to them what happened but instead found himself handed over to the Master Healer instead. It seemed his luck on this day might not be totally bad. Then he focused on Master Tikal The healer looking him over and shaking his head slightly. That was never a good.

Master Tikal looked at the boy as he listned to H’lee explain where he came from. He had a feeling that something like this might happen to the young man. He motioned for the boy to stay where he was sitting so he could tend to Silvara first since he was just checking on her then they could see about getting the lad patched up. Turning he looked at his student and felt sorrow that she had been hurt on this day that was supposed to be a day of joy. He looked at the little blue curled up near her cot and smiled. He had already told the other Healers to leave off since Silvara would pick up any stray emotions and having them study her dragon would not be good.

Once he was sure she was doing just fine he motioned for the boy to follow him into the hall and back to the main infirmary. Soon he had Learyam striped and set to work on getting bruise balm on his injury’s as well as writing them all down. He wanted those who did this to be punished and that would be easier with an accurate idea of how much damage had been done. Once he was sure all was tended to he dosed the boy with Fellis and tucked him into one of the cots to sleep for the remainder of the night.

Kestrana

Kestrana
Admin / Weyrlingmaster
By the time H'lee re-entered Silvara's room, Master Tikal had whisked Learyam off.  On the one hand, he was relieved: now he could get back to sleep for a couple of hours.  On the other hand, he'd realized something: Silvara was still taking one-on-one lessons with Master Tikal; had the healer considered the fact that Silv would be shipped off to the Academy in a fortnight?

He shrugged.  He had a fortnight to figure that out.  For now, he needed rest, so he collapsed on the cot and was soon fast asleep.  He figured either T'lon, N'del, or Warrelith would wake him when it was time to feed the blue again; as he recalled from his own weyrlinghood, N'del was adept at rousing the weyrlings just as the dragons were becoming hungry but before they'd quite awakened yet.  This was a good trait in a Weyrlingmaster, particularly while the weyrlings were at the Weyr; it kept them from rousing the entire Weyr with their hunger.

And he was right: this time, N'del himself stopped in to roust him out of bed.  "Don't bring Warrelith down to the barn tonight.  I'd rather not separate him and Silvara much until she's not being drugged any more, it will be confusing for both of them," he told H'lee.  The brownrider gently shook Warrelith to wake him and tell him H'lee was going to get food so he wouldn't wake up creeling with hunger (which the healers might mistake for pain or fear and burst in to see what was wrong with Silv).

Then he stumbled down to the barn - N'del had taken the empty bucket - and returned shortly afterward with a full bucket of meat chopped into small chunks.  He carefully fed Warrelith before tumbling back onto his cot.

The cycle repeated three hours later at the midnight and morning feedings.  Glancing at the clock after the morning feeding, H'lee told Warrelith that he expected Silv would wake before the next feeding, and that while the healers checked on her, he should go with H'lee down to the barn for the dawn meal.  That would give the healers room to change Silv's bandages and such in relative safety, since they would no doubt cause the young woman pain.

Then H'lee went back to sleep until either N'del roused him again or Silvara woke.

Last edited by Kestrana on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Silvara

Silvara
Warrelith muzzily woke and then waited for H’lee to return with food in the middle of the night understanding the need to stay silent for his bonded sake. He was more than happy to go back to sleep again at that point recoiling into his ball. He woke again near dawn stretching out and moving to his bonded to check on her.

Silvara smiled slightly as she woke turning her head to see a blue head on the bed next to her. With care she raised a hand to softly rub his snout happy that he seemed to be doing all right even with her having been zonked out for hours on him. Shifting she stretched a little careful of her back while looking around the room. She fought back a laugh when she saw H’lee curled up on a cot in the room and smiled at Warrelith knowing who had taken care of him while she had been asleep.

“H’lee… time to wake up cousin. Master Tikal will be here soon and Warrelith needs food and oiling.”

Warrelith nodded at her words as he was starting to feel a little itchy. Moving carefully he walked over to H’lee’s cot and sat near it since he did not want to scare him out of bed a second time.

Master Tikal was indeed on his way to check on Silvara after having peeked in on the boy in the infirmary first. He heard her words just before he was about the open the door and smirked. She could always tell when he was heading her way but then she could feel most people before they appeared unless there were to many people near by. Double edged tool her gift was. Made it hard to sneak up on her unless you were in a large group. Entering the room he smiled at the sight of her curled partly on her side to watch H'lee and her dragon wile keeping off the damage of her back. At least with her he knew that she would listen to instructions and try her hardest to do what was asked unlike other riders.

Kestrana

Kestrana
Admin / Weyrlingmaster
H'lee grumbled and cracked an eye open, seeing Warrelith sitting next to him. "By the Egg, I'd forgotten how miserable this is," he complained. "I don't know how N'del does it, day in and day out." He rolled over into a sitting position and yanked his boots on. Just then, T'lon stuck his head in to see if they were up yet. "Wait, yes, I do. He tricks gullible young riders like T'lon into doing it for him." T'lon looked at him blankly, having missed the first part of H'lee's statement.

"Gullible, am I? And who was it who got 'tricked' into taking care of Warrelith and taking up a post as dragonhealer at the Academy, hmm?" he retorted after a few breaths. H'lee eyed him grouchily. "Before we head out, N'del asked me to get a report on Silvara's back and how long it will be before she can walk to the barn and back, and how long after that until she can start helping take care of her own dragon," the bronzerider added, looking at Master Tikal, who'd just come in through the interior door.

Silvara

Silvara
Silvara laughed at H'lee's words and smiled over at him as she watched the goings on. It was nice to laugh. She looked to Master Tikal eagerly hoping he would say today she could get up and walk around with her dragon but she could tell that it was going to be a no. She hated being stuck in bed especially since she wanted to be tending her own dragon rather then making H'lee do it.

Tikal just smiled at Silvara moving over to her side as she shifted to lay flat again so he could see how the stitches were holding and to make sure there was no inflammation of the lacerations. Working quickly he turned to watch the two adult riders while lightly patting Silv on the shoulder.

"Well from the look of things the stitches are holding fine and she should be up and about tomorrow but she is not to do any major lifting or stretching as we don't want the stitches to tear out. She should be able to do some of the oiling and such so long as she remains sitting. If all goes well she should be able to do all the normal weyrling tending within a weeks time so long as she does not over do it."

At the last part he looked down at her to make sure she was listening and smiled as she meekly nodded. She knew better then to go against Healer orders even if all she wanted to do was cuddle her dragon.

Warrelith mean while just watched the Healer liking how calm and peaceful he was. While still watching H'lee knowing he would get to go out for a walk and eat soon. He wished his bonded could come to but through their bond understood the whys of what the healer had said and the why of her having to stay put.

Last edited by Silvara on Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kestrana

Kestrana
Admin / Weyrlingmaster
T'lon listened to Tikal's assessment of Silvara, nodding and obviously making an effort to remember what the healer said. "I'll let N'del know." H'lee stood up and stepped outside as T'lon opened the door to let him and Warrelith by.

The sky was getting lighter, but it wasn't really dawn yet. H'lee sighed. "I hate this transition period between fall and winter," he complained, shivering from the chill as he was still in his (ichor-blotched) Gather wear.

"Ha, wait until you get to the Academy. It's farther north, so winter starts even earlier and lasts longer."

H'lee groaned. "What did I let you two talk me into?" he laughed. The pair of riders walked on either side of Warrelith up to the barn. The other weyrlings were about halfway through their breakfast, their riders looking pretty flattened. Although there wasn't much talk among the kids, what little chatter there was died away when the trio entered the barn. N'del lifted his chin in greeting and gestured to a bucket at the end of the aisle. T'lon peeled off to help some of the others while H'lee fed Warrelith.

"Well, you won't get a full bath until the next feeding, but if you tell me where it itches, I'll apply a little to stop the itching," H'lee told Warrelith when he'd finished off the bucket of meat. H'lee washed his hands and pulled out a soft sponge and a jar of oil.

Silvara

Silvara
Warrelith happily moved between the two men walking along and happy that he could keep his wings out of the way himself now. He was glad that they would get food soon. Listening to the words he briefly wondered what the academy was till Silv explained it to him. He could feel her happiness that H'lee would also be at the Academy as well as her wondering when that had been arranged. Soon they were at the barn and Warrelith headed towards the bucket N'del pointed out.

::I itch near the base of my wings and the back of my head the most...::

He kept an eye on the other Weyrlings and Hatchlings knowing that the two blonds on the far side of the room were not friends of his bonded. For now he just watched them while wondering why they would want to be mean to his. He figured it would have to wait till some later time to figure the mystery out as for right now he was more interested in making the itching stop and to return to his bonded's side.

Kestrana

Kestrana
Admin / Weyrlingmaster
H'lee wasn't the only one with a sponge to clean the itchy areas and a jar of oil to soothe them.  Most of the other young dragons were in the same spot (and were itchy in the same spots, too!).

After Warrelith told him where he was itching (he was still a little unnerved that the blue talked to him directly rather than relaying through Seeth), he had the weyrling stretch his wings out to the sides to give him a little easier access to the shoulder joints.  He wiped down the areas where he could see a little flaking starting, rubbing firmly to remove any flakes.  He repeated this process along Warrelith's neck ridges.

After he'd washed the areas, he drizzled a little oil along the dragonet's neck and on the top of the shoulder joints, then poured a generous amount into the palm of his hand.  Then, paying close attention to detail to make sure he got into every crease in Warrelith's hide, he rubbed the oil into the dry spots.

"There we go.  Any other spots?" he asked after he was done with those spots.  Although there was less of Warrelith to oil than the other weyrlings had, several of the others had already finished.

H'lee hadn't noticed that N'del had shepherded those riders over to watch him while he oiled the blue; oiling a dragon had always been a very relaxing activity for the brownrider and he often became so engrossed in what he was doing that he would lose track of what was going on around him.  So he was startled when N'del said, "And that is the PROPER way to oil your dragon.  Go try again," and he chivvied the ones who thought they were done back to their dragons.

T'lon grinned over at him with a look that said, Show off.  H'lee almost rolled his eyes and then decided he'd better not, since several the weyrlings were looking daggers at him and N'del.  "Never realize that having a dragon actually requires real work," the Weyrlingmaster grumbled.  "Always have one or two who think they can get by with the bare minimum."

H'lee smiled grimly, his gaze lingering for a moment on the two blondes.  No doubt who would be the ones in that category with this batch.

Last edited by Kestrana on Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Silvara

Silvara
Warrelith sighed happily as H’lee washed him off and then set to work with the oil keeping his wings where H’lee wanted them and letting his eyes slide shut in pleasure as the itching stopped. He did not think about how his talking directly to H’lee would be disconcerting since his link with Silvara made him less inclined to do the go between method at least with H’lee.

He blinked a little in surprise when the words from N’del were spoken having been unaware of the others watching what was happening to him. He could feel Silvara skittishness and the fact that she was not in H’lee’s place at that second tho she did wish she could have been the one tending to him right then. Shaking his head no that he had no other spots that were in immediate need of oiling he relaxed a little waiting to see what would happen next.

He agreed with Silvara that it would be wonderful when she could do this for him but for now she needed to heal and do what the Healers told her to do, also reminding her that he loved her and that he did not mind having her brother do this for the time being. He was glad that she did not have to worry about being the center of attention today at least especially with the daggers the blonds were throwing at the adult riders as they started to try again to oil their own dragons.

Kestrana

Kestrana
Admin / Weyrlingmaster
N'del inspected Warrelith to make sure he was in good shape and there were no other overly dry spots on his hide. "You'll get a full bath at brunch," the Weyrlingmaster told the little blue, not realizing that H'lee had already said as much. "And a full oiling." H'lee hid a smile.

"Your tail's looking a little thick, I noticed you guys didn't stop at the midden on the way up here," N'del gave H'lee a penetrating look. The brownrider flushed. It wasn't something he'd had to think about in ages. "I'd suggest stopping there on your way back to the infirmary."

H'lee cleared his throat self-consciously and replied, "Yes, sir," a bit sheepishly. He saw T'lon trying not to laugh out of the corner of his eye and again refrained from rolling his eyes. It would be misconstrued as mocking the Weyrlingmaster rather than his friend.

N'del moved on to the next weyrling pair and H'lee escorted Warrelith outside and over to the midden. "Why didn't you tell me you needed to go?" he complained quietly, but good-naturedly. "I didn't even think about it, Seeth just goes when he needs to." He stood ready to help massage the young blue's tail to help relieve the constipation if he needed it.

Afterward, H'lee guided the drowsy dragonet back to the infirmary for another nap. H'lee, meanwhile, headed up to the Caverns for breakfast after finding out that someone had brought Silvara something.

Silvara

Silvara
Warrelith gave H'lee a sheepish look since he had not realized he did till now. He had been so distracted by the itching that he had not noticed. He was rather glad when they reached the midden and he got comfortable to do his business. It was a little off putting having the rider watching but he ignored him while doing what needed to be done. Thankfully all went as it was meant to and he was ready to return to his rider with a lighter tail and feeling sleepy once again.

Once inside he went to Silvara and nuzzled her before settling on the dragon couch and curling back into his ball to sleep. Silvara mean while just smiled at her dragon and returned to reading some healing scrolls Tikal brought her to keep her occupied while she was stuck laying down even as she nibbled at a sandwich of meat and cheese. A glass of water and a pitcher of the ground near her cot opposite the dragon couch to prevent mishap. Tikal had said he would vist near noon with a meal and talk with her about what would be happening when it came time for her to head to the academy with her dragon.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum